The Importance of Having a Creative Outlet in “Gender Queer”

Tyra Alexander

3 April 2024

EN*499

Dr. Ellis

The Importance of Having a Creative Outlet 

in “Gender Queer”




To put it simply, “Gender Queer” by Maia Kobabe was incredible. From beginning to end, I felt like I was living the life with Kobabe; experiencing eir experiencing, feeling eir emotions. Everything e put in the book was raw, it was real. And I owe it mostly to its medium. Like I discussed before, graphic novels allow us to see exactly what the author wants us to see. With traditional novels, it's usually up to the reader to interpret the authors’ words. Thus, leaving a lot of gray areas and a lot of important messages unrealized. Although “Gender Queer” is in color, the purpose Kobabe wants to exhibit is in black and white– the exposed experience of someone who is gender queer and the hardships they go through.

Let me be real for a second– I know absolutely nothing about what queer individuals go through. Some may try to depict the queer experience of racism, and I find that rather far from the truth. Maia Kobabe concisely put into perspective the unique experience of someone dealing with the feelings of gender dysmorphia. Through eir pictures, these thoughts and feelings take visual form. This brings me to my point about having that creative outlet. What this book has taught me about those who experience struggles with their gender is that these feelings are often hard to put into words. But, one thing I like to say is that people express things the best when they are explaining it in their language. Maia’s language in this case is through comics. 

I came to this realization after the scene when Maia’s friend tells em to write a comic about pronouns. Through this medium, eir were able to express emselves the most. It's important to amplify the importance of having a creative outlet, specifically with marginalized youth. The experience of marginalized youth is so individualized to the point where its almost impossible to express to others how they feel. But through comics, through art, through writing, those with crowded thoughts can let them out.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Fine Line Between Relatable and Condescending

Action Now

Fisk Kolvenbach and King Response